FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does it mean to be Zero Waste?
Zero Waste is a set of principles focused on waste prevention that encourages the redesign of resource life cycles (hence our refill station!) so that all products are reused. The goal is for no trash to be sent to landfills, incinerators, or the ocean. (Thanks for the quick definition Wikipedia!).
Is Dharma + Dwell a Zero Waste shop?
While we are not completely zero waste, we are very close! We have received some accidental plastic or packaging that cannot be recycled and there are some products that we are still trying to find a more sustainable packaging and/or shipping solution for (e.g., glass bottles, jars, ingredients for natural products). Since our launch, we have filled only 1 paper grocery bag of items that cannot be reused, recycled, composted, etc.
What is a pop-up shop?
Dharma + Dwell is currently a pop-up shop. This means that we "pop-up" in temporary locations such as retail spaces, markets, special events, coffee shops, etc. If you can't make it to one of our pop-ups, you can always order online.
How does the refill shop work?
- OPTION 1: All items that are labeled with Dharma + Dwell's branding are refillable. You will notice there is a higher pricer point on your initial purchase because you are buying the product AND the reusable container. Once your product is empty, you return the container and receive a new refilled container. For example, the first time you purchase our 32 ounce laundry soap, you will pay $26.00. The second time you purchase, you will pay $14.00 because you are only paying for the product ($0.45/oz).
- Option 2: We have several items offered in bulk. You can either purchase one of Dharma + Dwell's containers OR bring your own to refill. Items in bulk are sold by the ounce (e.g., $0.45/oz.). If bringing your own container, we ask that you please determine the ounces in advance. Otherwise, we will make our best guess at sizing. When ordering online, you will need to purchase a Dharma + Dwell container.
Can I order bulk products online?
Absolutely. When shopping, read the description of each product. We will note which products can be sold in bulk. For online bulk orders you will need to purchase one of Dharma + Dwell's containers (e.g., Glass Pumps or Jars). If you already have your own container at home to refill, will will put it in a recycled container for delivery. You can return the recycled container to Dharma + Dwell during your next visit or during our next delivery.
How do you source products for Dharma + Dwell?
It's really important to us that we support small businesses – with specific focus on those businesses that are local, women owned and operated, and in alignment with our values. For partners outside of St. Louis, we leverage wholesale platforms for independent business owners, Etsy, and even social media – and do a lot of research! Whether in or outside of St. Louis, we also ensure that products are packaged and shipped responsibly (meaning – no plastic and only reusable, recycled or compostable packaging).
How do you ship your products?
- We only use upcycled, recycled, recyclable and compostable materials. Everything ships 100% plastic-free.
- We only provide the option to ship USPS because they already come to your residence on a daily basis. This helps us reduce our carbon footprint even by reducing the number of trips to your residence.
- Your products will be shipped within 2-3 days of your purchase. You should receive them within 5-7 days.
Do you deliver and/or provide pick-up options?
Yes, we do! If you are within the St. Louis area, please select "Local Pick-up/Delivery" when you are checking out. We will contact you once we receive your order with an estimated pick-up/delivery date.
What do I do once I no longer have use for my product or it has reached its end of life?
Every product has "end of life" instructions under our "shop" page (e.g., recycle, compost, refill, etc.). If you do not have access to one of these disposal methods, please contact us and we will ensure to dispose of your product properly.
The product I purchased has recyclable or compostable packaging but I do not have access to either. What do I do?
While most of our products come package free or in refillable containers, we do have some that are packaged in recyclable or compostable packaging/labels.
We know that not everyone has access to recycling or composting. If you do not have access to either of these options and wish to have your products shipped unpackaged please leave us a note during checkout. We will remove and properly dispose of all packaging and labels.
What if I am interested in collaborating or hosting a pop-up shop with Dharma + Dwell?
This would make us the happiest! Please complete our form on the Contact Us page.